Rain X washer fluid
Mike Y
2010-01-10 22:58:36 UTC
Just wondered if anyone has run into trouble with RainX.

I've heard that RainX will clog the windshield washers on some cars. Clog
up the washer jets, or maybe clogging the pump.

Anyway, I have one car that I've been using RainX in for a couple of years,
and the washer IS getting weak. And a friend's car is also showing a weak
washer system.

So... Anyone else experiencing this? And if it is RainX at fault, and not
just dirt or contamination, is there a way to clean it out? I'm wondering,
if it's a waxy buildup, would just running HOT water through the system
clean out any wax deposit?
Old Harley Rider
2010-01-11 03:36:17 UTC
Post by Mike Y
Just wondered if anyone has run into trouble with RainX.
I've heard that RainX will clog the windshield washers on some cars. Clog
up the washer jets, or maybe clogging the pump.
Anyway, I have one car that I've been using RainX in for a couple of years,
and the washer IS getting weak. And a friend's car is also showing a weak
washer system.
So... Anyone else experiencing this? And if it is RainX at fault, and not
just dirt or contamination, is there a way to clean it out? I'm wondering,
if it's a waxy buildup, would just running HOT water through the system
clean out any wax deposit?
I have used RainX on my truck and my car. I use RainX on the rear window
and the side windows, I use it on the windshield on my Harley. I
NEVER USE IT ON THE WINDSHIELD OF MY VEHICLES. It will mess up your
wipers and the windshield. With the Florida sun it will cause an
oxidation on the glass (a purple haze) and it is a bitch to get off. I
had to use a rubbing compound to get it off the glass.
--
GOD rides a Harley,
Can you see Him?

Skype <fxdlrider2>
Ashton Crusher
2010-01-11 03:37:07 UTC
Post by Mike Y
Just wondered if anyone has run into trouble with RainX.
I've heard that RainX will clog the windshield washers on some cars. Clog
up the washer jets, or maybe clogging the pump.
Anyway, I have one car that I've been using RainX in for a couple of years,
and the washer IS getting weak. And a friend's car is also showing a weak
washer system.
So... Anyone else experiencing this? And if it is RainX at fault, and not
just dirt or contamination, is there a way to clean it out? I'm wondering,
if it's a waxy buildup, would just running HOT water through the system
clean out any wax deposit?
I doubt hot water would do it. Have you ever tried removing the
liquid fabric softener buildup in a washing machine? You have to
scrape it off.
Mike Y
2010-01-11 09:58:36 UTC
Post by Ashton Crusher
Post by Mike Y
up the washer jets, or maybe clogging the pump.
Anyway, I have one car that I've been using RainX in for a couple of years,
and the washer IS getting weak. And a friend's car is also showing a weak
washer system.
So... Anyone else experiencing this? And if it is RainX at fault, and not
just dirt or contamination, is there a way to clean it out? I'm wondering,
if it's a waxy buildup, would just running HOT water through the system
clean out any wax deposit?
I doubt hot water would do it. Have you ever tried removing the
liquid fabric softener buildup in a washing machine? You have to
scrape it off.
I'm under the impression RainX washer fluid is just mostly wax in
suspension. I know it can come off with certain dish detergents. Maybe
I'll have to make up a bucket of Palmolive in hot water and pump that
through to try to clean it out.
Mike Hunter
iluv my kitties and family
2010-01-12 21:54:36 UTC
Whenever I polish my car like using Nu-Finish I do all the glass. Works
excellent for a couple months and I am pleased in my own opinion. First I
get all the built off residue off.
It is winter here so none of that now.
Mike Hunter
2010-01-13 16:07:54 UTC
Nu-Finish is great stuff to use on your headlamp covers, it will keep them
from clouding and restore headlamp covers that have become clouded. However
Nu-Finish is a polymer, like RainX, so it will build on the windshield.
RainX and Nu-Finish are best reserved for side glass.
iluv my kitties and family
Mike Hunter
KWS
2010-01-11 14:50:00 UTC
Post by Mike Y
Just wondered if anyone has run into trouble with RainX.
I've heard that RainX will clog the windshield washers on some cars. Clog
up the washer jets, or maybe clogging the pump.
Anyway, I have one car that I've been using RainX in for a couple of years,
and the washer IS getting weak. And a friend's car is also showing a weak
washer system.
So... Anyone else experiencing this? And if it is RainX at fault, and not
just dirt or contamination, is there a way to clean it out? I'm wondering,
if it's a waxy buildup, would just running HOT water through the system
clean out any wax deposit?
I notice a general issue in that the nozzles tend to accumulate deposits
of some sort over time. A very fine wire can be used to clean them out.
This seems to happen regardless of the wiper fluid used.

I have used RainX, although not consistently, in the several vehicles we
have and others we owned over the years. We have not experienced
failures of pumps.

Ken
this old man
2010-01-16 22:25:46 UTC
Been using it in my vehicles for about a year, no issues. Even with
normal washer fluid. it helps to take a rag soaked with steaming hot water
and clean off the nozzles every now and then.

I used to use the liquid on the windshield every few months. Until I tried
the washer fluid. I still use the liquid on my motorcycle helmet.
Everything just beads up and rolls off.

Love the stuff, especially in the winter. :-)
clean out any wax deposit?
Interstate
2011-03-28 20:56:31 UTC
I used the Rain X washer fluid starting in December. The sprayer fro
my washer pump got weaker and weaker and finally stopped pumpin
altogether. I had to get the washer pump replaced. I'm getting rid o
the Rain X and going back to the cheap stuff

--
Interstat
Message origin: TRAVEL.co
dr_jeff
2011-03-29 00:02:57 UTC
I used the Rain X washer fluid starting in December. The sprayer from
my washer pump got weaker and weaker and finally stopped pumping
altogether. I had to get the washer pump replaced. I'm getting rid of
the Rain X and going back to the cheap stuff.
Why? What evidence do you have that Rain X had anything to do with the
pump failure?
d***@gmail.com
clean out any wax deposit?
d***@gmail.com
Yes! Customer service advised me to add 1 bottle rubbing alcohol to equal parts hot water but the reservoir is full. Problem #1. I'm 85 years old and would have to pay to have it done professionally so I live without it. Rain X should have a warning label on the bottle!
f***@gmail.com
2020-04-20 14:57:47 UTC
This orange rain-x I’ve been using for over 3 years now just clogged up my passengers side windshield washer jet in my 2017 Chevy Silverado pickup, no pressure and virtually no stream. Drivers side not clogged yet thankfully. Did the 1:1 ratio of hot water and rubbing alcohol fix yours or anybody else’s clogged jets or system? Appreciate any help.
f***@gmail.com
2020-04-20 14:58:49 UTC
Any luck. Mine just did this, ugh! If so what fixed it?