Ranger stress crack in windshield
Terry
2008-06-05 14:08:23 UTC
I've got a 08 Ranger that developed a stress crack on the lower center
part of the windsheild. It runs more or less horizontal a few inches
from the bottom. I went to the local Ford dealer and he claims it
was a rock chip that spread and wants $450 for a replacement. There's
no eveidence of a rock chip and i've been the only person that ever
drove the vehicle and never heard anything hitting the truck. Has
anyone else had a similar problem and did Ford fix it under warrantee?
The vehicle is 6 mo old and has 10000 miles on it. TIA.

Terry
Caesar Romano
2008-06-05 19:05:41 UTC
Post by Terry
I've got a 08 Ranger that developed a stress crack on the lower center
part of the windsheild. It runs more or less horizontal a few inches
from the bottom. I went to the local Ford dealer and he claims it
was a rock chip that spread and wants $450 for a replacement. There's
no eveidence of a rock chip and i've been the only person that ever
drove the vehicle and never heard anything hitting the truck. Has
anyone else had a similar problem and did Ford fix it under warrantee?
The vehicle is 6 mo old and has 10000 miles on it. TIA.
Terry
Seems like if it was a rock, there would be some kind of ding on the
*outside* of the glass (other than the crack itself) where the rock
hit. Does the crack go through the indside and outside of the glass?
C. E. White
2008-06-05 19:43:52 UTC
Post by Caesar Romano
Post by Terry
I've got a 08 Ranger that developed a stress crack on the lower center
part of the windsheild. It runs more or less horizontal a few inches
from the bottom. I went to the local Ford dealer and he claims it
was a rock chip that spread and wants $450 for a replacement. There's
no eveidence of a rock chip and i've been the only person that ever
drove the vehicle and never heard anything hitting the truck. Has
anyone else had a similar problem and did Ford fix it under warrantee?
The vehicle is 6 mo old and has 10000 miles on it. TIA.
Terry
Seems like if it was a rock, there would be some kind of ding on the
*outside* of the glass (other than the crack itself) where the rock
hit. Does the crack go through the indside and outside of the glass?
Maybe, maybe not. My SO had a big crack in the window of Her RAV4. She knows
a rock caused it (she was driving at the time), but I could never find the
crater. Stuff like this is why I have full glass coverage. It is the only
insuracne I have that has actually not been a huge money loser. Around here
(Raleigh, NC) the dump trucks are constantly dumping rocks on the road.

Ed
Scott
2008-06-06 04:52:08 UTC
Post by Terry
I've got a 08 Ranger that developed a stress crack on the lower center
part of the windsheild. It runs more or less horizontal a few inches
from the bottom. I went to the local Ford dealer and he claims it
was a rock chip that spread and wants $450 for a replacement. There's
no eveidence of a rock chip and i've been the only person that ever
drove the vehicle and never heard anything hitting the truck. Has
anyone else had a similar problem and did Ford fix it under warrantee?
The vehicle is 6 mo old and has 10000 miles on it. TIA.
Terry
That's one of those things Ford just isn't going to fix under
warranty.
Chance of that cracking like you claim from anything other
than a rock is damn unlikely.
Itsfrom Click
2008-06-06 20:07:33 UTC
It happened to me......another make of car: got it brand new, taking
delivery in January cold weather. The first warm day, I went outside
and the windshield was cracked from top to bottom.

The dealer was suspicious, but replaced it at no charge to me (they
probably made nice money for a warranty repair). It broke again a few
weeks later. Dealer replaced it.

When it cracked the third time, the manufacturer sent a factory crew to
replace it........don't know what else they did, but I know the dash
panel was removed and they acknowledged that the sheetmetal wasn't
right, stressing the glass. Looking back, I'm surprised they believed
me the first time. And first I ever heard that there were factory
repair crews that travel around taking care of weird problems.
Tekfur Walnius
2023-06-13 14:15:03 UTC
A crack on the windshield that penetrates only the top layer of glass is repairable. But a crack that breaks completely through is more likely to spread and worsen the damage, which may lead to a replacement after a few weeks or months. A serious windshield crack can be fixed if it's repaired as soon as possible. Lastly, it is said to go for the trusted Polaris ranger windshield likewise Kemimoto
--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/ford/ranger-stress-crack-in-windshield-43738-.htm