1998 Taurus crazy electrical problems
doctork
2005-06-12 19:21:48 UTC
The battery on my 1998 Taurus SE DOHC will die if I park the car for 1
hours. The battery is new and recharges well, the alternator is als
good. The interior lights some times will stay on when it rains an
the doors will not lock while driving and the door-open warning stay
on. When this happens, I can’t force the locks to remain down (they g
up again). After turning the engine off, the interior lights may sta
on for hours later on or they may go out immediately. The left-tur
signal some times will not operate and if I repeat that few times (o
if I push down hard on the lever) it will work. The front-left ligh
signal assembly usually retains rain water. I took it apart and i
looks identical to the one on the right and the rubber drainage valv
is fine. Sometimes the car will have all these problems together, an
sometimes things are better. But always the battery will end up dea
if the car was not started for a day. I took the car for two dealers
they charged me money and kept the car for a week but they did not hav
answers. I am sure there is an electrical leak. What is in commo
between all these problems? Thank you for your help, Kyle

--
doctor
doctork's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=209
View this thread: http://www.usenetcars.com/showthread.php?t=28732
trainfan1
2005-06-13 01:21:23 UTC
The battery on my 1998 Taurus SE DOHC will die if I park the car for 18
hours. The battery is new and recharges well, the alternator is also
good. The interior lights some times will stay on when it rains and
the doors will not lock while driving and the door-open warning stays
on. When this happens, I can’t force the locks to remain down (they go
up again). After turning the engine off, the interior lights may stay
on for hours later on or they may go out immediately.
This all is a door-ajar switch. Gotta find out which one it is...
probably driver's based on the no-lock situation.
The left-turn
signal some times will not operate and if I repeat that few times (or
if I push down hard on the lever) it will work.
This is a known problem with the muti-function switch. Replace it.

Rob
Shoe Salesman
2005-06-13 01:34:11 UTC
Post by trainfan1
The battery on my 1998 Taurus SE DOHC will die if I park the car for 18
hours. The battery is new and recharges well, the alternator is also
good. The interior lights some times will stay on when it rains and
the doors will not lock while driving and the door-open warning stays
on. When this happens, I can’t force the locks to remain down (they go
up again). After turning the engine off, the interior lights may stay
on for hours later on or they may go out immediately.
This all is a door-ajar switch. Gotta find out which one it is...
probably driver's based on the no-lock situation.
The left-turn
signal some times will not operate and if I repeat that few times (or
if I push down hard on the lever) it will work.
This is a known problem with the muti-function switch. Replace it.
Rob
You can save some $ if you clean the switches instead of replacing them.
Lube the door latches with wd-40 or something similar. Open and close the
door a few times. Carefully spray some into the hazard button on top of the
column too. Then work the hazard switch on and off about 25 times. That
usually does the trick.
doctork
2005-06-13 23:58:51 UTC
I tried the WD-40 on the doors and it seems to solve the problem wit
the lights and locks. Thanks for the great tip. I will try it next o
the hazard lights.
Can water traped in the left-front signal assembly cause the batter
drain?

Shoe Salesman
2005-06-14 04:39:48 UTC
I tried the WD-40 on the doors and it seems to solve the problem with
the lights and locks. Thanks for the great tip. I will try it next on
the hazard lights.
Can water traped in the left-front signal assembly cause the battery
drain??
No, but the dome light staying on from the dirty switch sure would.
doctork
2005-06-17 16:08:46 UTC
can a bad multi-function-switch cause electrical drain from the battery
Thanks, Kyle

trainfan1
2005-06-17 20:30:27 UTC
can a bad multi-function-switch cause electrical drain from the battery?
Thanks, Kyle.
Only if it's bleeding current through the high beams "flash-to-pass"
circuit.

Rob
EBjimTX
2022-06-06 01:15:03 UTC
In engine compartment I found corroded terminals on ground side to chassis. The small wire connected to negative battery terminal. It connects to fender well. There are smaller wires on same terminal
I found them to be loose. No more relay clatter at start
--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/ford/1998-taurus-crazy-electrical-problems-4528-.htm